Serves: 3 | Preparation Time: 20 min
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 2 medium shallots, finely chopped
- 1 thumb of ginger, sliced finely
- 6 or 7 fresh or dried kaffir lime leaves, cut into thirds
- 1 small red chilli (seeds removed)
- 80 ml red wine
- 0.5 Cup tomatoes, chopped
- 2 Tablespoon double cream
- 2 Teaspoon brown sugar
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
Heat olive oil in a medium pan over low heat. Add shallots and cook until soft and translucent, about 1 minute.
Add ginger to pan and cook for 30 seconds (if using fresh lime leaves, rub between the palm of your hands). Add lime leaves and continue cooking mixture for 30 seconds more. Add chilli and cook, stirring, until browned. Add wine and cook until liquid is reduced by half.
Add tomato and bring mixture to a boil. Immediately reduce to a simmer and cook for 20 minutes.
Strain mixture into a small saucepan through a fine mesh sieve; discard solids. Add cream to the strained sauce and place over medium heat. Cook sauce until liquid is reduced and thick enough for a sauce. Serve immediately.