Serves: 4 | Preparation Time: 30 min
- 4 large French-trimmed lamb shanks
- 1/4 cup plain flour
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large brown onion, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 x 400g cans Italian diced tomatoes
- 1 lemon, finely grated rind and 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 6 sprigs fresh thyme rosemary, oregano or parsley are all great.
- 400g can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 400g sugar snap peas, to serve
Preheat the oven to 200°C. Lightly coat the lamb shanks with flour. Heat the oil in a large heavy-based casserole dish over a medium high heat.
Add 2 shanks at a time and cook for 4-5 minutes until well browned on all sides. Transfer to a plate. Cook the remaining shanks and transfer to plate. Reduce heat to medium.
Add the onion to the pan and cook for 3-4 minutes or until soft. Stir in the garlic and cook for a further minute. Add the tomatoes, lemon rind, lemon juice and white wine to the pan. Stir until well combined.
Return the shanks to the pan and bring to the boil. Add the thyme sprigs. Cover with a tight-fitting lid and place in oven. Bake for 1 hour.
Remove the casserole from the oven. Add the beans and stir until well combined. Cover and return to the oven for a further 30 minutes or until the meat is very tender.
Meanwhile, bring a saucepan of water to the boil. Add the sugar snap peas and cook for 1-2 minutes or until bright green in colour and just tender. Drain.