Serves: 4 | Prep time: 10 minutes
- 1 tsp saffron threads
- 1 clove garlic minced (use the back of your knife with a pince of salt)
- 2 tsp hot water
- 200g 00 plain flour (see note)
- 2 eggs
- 1 tbs extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 lemon
- 1/2 cup (125ml) thickened cream
- 250g fresh crab meat (3 good legs of king crab boiled in lemon water and maet picked)
- 2 shallots, trimmed, thinly sliced
- 2 tbs coarsely chopped dill
Combine the saffron and water in a small bowl and set aside for 5 minutes to infuse. Place the flour on a clean work surface and make a well in the centre. Add the eggs, oil, salt and saffron mixture and gradually bring together, whisking and then kneading.
Knead on a lightly floured surface for 10 minutes or until smooth and elastic.Use a pasta machine or rolling pin to roll pasta to about 1mm thick. Roll the pasta sheet into a log and use a sharp knife to thinly slice the log crossways. Alternatively, use the pasta machine to cut pasta into spaghetti.
Cook the spaghetti in a large saucepan of salted boiling water until al dente. Drain well.
Use a zester to remove rind from lemon. (Alternatively, use a vegetable peeler to peel rind from lemon. Use a small, sharp knife to remove white pith from rind. Cut rind into very thin strips.) Juice the lemon.
Heat a large frying pan over high heat. Add the garlic cream and crab and gently toss for 1-2 minutes or until heated through. Add the lemon juice and zest and stir to combine. Remove from heat.
Add the pasta, shallots and dill and gently toss to combine. Divide evenly among serving bowls and serve