Serves: 2 | Preparation Time: 20 min
- 3 tomatoes
- 1 clove of garlic, peeled and finely sliced
- 10 leaves of fresh Thai basil, leaves picked and torn up
- Bay leaves
- 4-5 baby leeks, trimmed and washed
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 50ml/7fl oz cheap balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
Score the tops of the tomatoes with a cross. Take an earthenware dish that the tomatoes will fit snugly into, and sprinkle the garlic and basil all over the bottom of it.
Stand the tomatoes next to each other in the tray, on top of the garlic and basil, then push the bay leaves well into the scores in the tomatoes and season well.
Lay the leeks on a board and sprinkle generously with salt and pepper. Using a rolling pin, press down on top of the leeks to really squeeze the seasoning into them. This will also loosen their texture.
Cut the leeks into about three and place around the tomatoes. Pour over the balsamic vinegar, drizzle over the olive oil, and bake in the preheated 180 deg oven for an hour. Before serving, remove the bay leaves.
Try this: These tomatoes are great served as a vegetable dish, or as part of a warm salad. Also good as a base for soup, puréed to make a sauce or served over pasta.
Recipe by Jamie Oliver