Serves: 4-8 and 4 freezer | Preparation Time: 30 min
- 1 tin of drained and rinsed borlotti beans
- 2 tbs extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp smoked paprika
- 4 bacon slices, finely chopped
- 1 brown onion, finely chopped
- 2 celery sticks, trimmed, finely chopped
- 2 zucchini, trimmed, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, peeled, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1/2 cup (125ml) dry sherry
- 8 cups (2 litres) chicken or vegetable stock
- 400g can diced tomatoes
- A good handful of finely chopped Mediterranean herbs such as basil, thyme, oregano & or parsley to serve
- Finely grated Parmesan, to serve
Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the bacon, onion, celery, zucchini, carrot and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes or until onion softens.
Add the sherry and bring to the boil. Add the stock, tomato, paprika and bring to a simmer.
Reduce heat to low and cook, stirring occasionally, for 15 minutes or until soup thickens slightly. Add the beans and stir to combine. Remove from heat.
Taste and season soup with salt and pepper. Ladle the soup among serving bowls.
Top with chopped herbs and Parmesan.
Serve immediately with rosemary and sea salt flatbreads.