Serves: 10 | Preparation Time: 15 min
- 500 gr raw peanuts, deep fried (2 min.)
- 5 cloves garlic, peeled
- 8 – 10 bird's-eye chilies (this is more a sambal paste, I use 2)
- 50 gr kencur root (galangal), peeled and chopped
- 50 gr palm sugar, chopped (Please check your source, save the Orang-utans please!)
- 2 ltr fresh coconut milk
- 4 tbsp sweet soy sauce
- 2lime leaves
- 1 tbsp fresh limejuice, squeezed
- 1 tbsp shallots, fried
Combine peanuts, garlic, chilies and kencur in a food processor and puree, or grind coarsely in a stone mortar.
Place in heavy sauce pan with coconut milk, sweet soy sauce and lime leaves. Bring to boil, reduce heat and simmer uncovered, stirring frequently to prevent the sauce from sticking, for 15 minutes.
Add limejuice and sprinkle with shallots just before serving as a dipping sauce for satay. Season to taste with salt.