Serves: 4 | Preparation Time: 10 min
- 2 good-sized beetroots, peeled and cut into fine matchsticks
- 1 ripe pear (or you could use an apple), peeled, cored and cut into matchsticks
- 1 x lemon oil dressing see below recipe
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 200g feta cheese
- 1 bunch of fresh mint, smallest leaves picked
- optional: a large handful of sunflower seeds
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 tsp of sugar
- 1/2 the juice of one lemon
Cuttingthe produce is the most important part of this dish so don't over look the importance of getting it right. The flavours and texture really need a fine matchstick to work properly. If your knife skills aren’t up to speed yet, buy one of those matchstick peelers or matchstick mandolins in good cook shops. That should help.
Dress the beetroot and pear matchsticks in a little of the lemon oil dressing and season with some salt and pepper. Taste to check that the flavours are balanced.
Divide the salad between four plates or put it on a big platter, crumble over the creamy white feta, and sprinkle over the baby mint leaves and the sunflower seeds if you’re using them.
Tip: Wear gloves when handling the beets as they will stain your fingers for days!