Serves: 3-4 | Preparation Time: 20 min
- 500 g chicken thigh fillets, cut into bite size pieces
- 3 tbsp fish sauce
- 1.5 tbsp sugar
- 2 lemon grass stalks, white part only, finely diced
- 4 garlic cloves, finely diced
- 2 long red chilli, finely diced
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1/2 onion, cut into wedges
- 1 cup young coconut juice
- 3 mint sprigs for garnish
In a mixing bowl combine fish sauce, sugar and mix until sugar has dissolved. Add half of the lemon grass, half of the garlic, half of the chilli and all of the chicken. Coat the chicken then marinate it covered and refrigerated for 1 hour or over night for a better result.
Bring a large saucepan or wok to medium heat, add oil and remaining lemon grass, garlic, chilli, and fry until fragrant and slightly brown.
Turn heat to high then add the chicken sealing all sides until browned, around 2 minutes on each side.
Now add coconut juice, onions and cover with a lid, then cook on medium heat for a 5 minutes or until sauce has reduced by half.
Transfer to a bowl, garnish with mint and serve with jasmine rice.