Serves: 6 | Preparation Time: 20 min
- 1 kg green prawns, peeled, leaving tail intact, deveined
- 1 stalk lemongrass, white part only, finely chopped or zest of one whole lemon and half juiced.
- 4 kaffir lime leaves, finely shredded
- 2 tbs peanut oil
Ginger and mango mayonnaise
- 1/2 mango, peeled, stoned, finely chopped.
(If out of season use 1 tbsp of good warmed honey and 1tbsp of orange juice)
- 1 tbs finely grated fresh ginger
- 1 tbs lime juice
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 tsp mustard powder
- 150ml sunflower oil or if using honey 180ml you can use olive oil but make sure it is not virgin.
Combine the prawns, lemongrass, lime leaves and oil in a bowl. Cover with plastic wrap. Place in the fridge for 1 1/2 hours to marinate.
To make the mayonnaise, place mango/honey, ginger, lime juice, egg yolks and mustard powder in the bowl of a food processor and process until smooth. With the motor running, add the oil in a thin, steady stream until mixture is thick and pale. Taste and season with salt and pepper. (Play around with the consistancy if necessary - drops of warm water will loosen it and more oil will thicken it.
Pre-heat barbecue/pan on high. Add prawns and cook, turning occasionally, for 5-7 minutes or until prawns curl and change colour.
Transfer prawns to a serving platter and serve with the mayonnaise.