Serves: 8-10 | Preparation Time: 40 min
- 2 lbs. Green tomatoes, sliced* you can use ripe romas but you will only need half the sugar.
- 4 tart apples
- ½ tsp. salt
- 2/3 cup chopped onions
- 2 ¾ cups dark brown sugar
- 2 cups cider vinegar
- 1 cup seedless raisins
- ½ tsp. hot red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp. mustard seed
- 1 tsp. dry mustard
- 1 tsp. Finely chopped fresh ginger
- 3 cups green seedless grapes
Put the tomato slices in a large saucepan.
Peel and dice the apples and add them to the tomatoes.
Add the onions, sugar*, vinegar, raisins and salt. Mix well. Cook over medium heat for about 30 minutes.
Add the red pepper flakes, mustard seed, dry mustard, ginger and grapes to the hot mixture.
Cook for about 30 minutes longer, or until mixture is thick.
Pack chutney into hot sterilized jars, preferable 1-cup size. Seal at once.