Serves: 4 | Preparation Time: 20 min
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 8 lamb neck chops
- 1 large onion, halved and sliced lengthways
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 tsp freshly grated ginger
- 1 tbs sweet paprika
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 cup (250 ml) vegetable stock
- 1/2 cinnamon stick
- 3/4 cup (140g) dried apricots or 4-5 fresh apricots
- 1/2 cup (100g) pitted prunes
- 2 tbs toasted slivered almonds
- Steamed couscous, to serve
Preheat oven to 160°C. Heat olive oil in a flameproof casserole dish and brown chops on both sides. Remove and set aside. Add onion to pan and cook over medium heat for 5 minutes, until soft. Add garlic, ginger, paprika and cumin, and cook for 1 minute.
Pour in stock, stirring and scraping the bottom of the pan. Add cinnamon stick. Return chops to pan, and cover tightly with a lid.
Bake for 1 hour, then add apricots and prunes. Bake for a further 30 minutes. Serve sprinkled with almonds and with couscous on the side to soak up the juices.