Serves: 4-6 | Preparation Time: 60 min
- 3 cups lowfat milk
- 1 cinnamon stick, 3 in. long
- 1⁄4 tsp salt
- 1 cup jasmine or basmati rice, rinsed well and drained
- Zest from 1 small lime, removed with a vegetable peeler
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 11⁄2 Tbsp fresh lime juice
- 1⁄4 tsp each vanilla and coconut extract (or 1⁄2 tsp vanilla extract)
- 1 large firm-ripe mango (not overripe or it will be too soft to dice)
- Garnish: lime slices and grated lime zest
Bring milk and cinnamon stick to a simmer in a small saucepan. Cover, remove from heat and let steep while cooking rice.
Bring 2 cups water and the salt to a full boil in a 2-qt saucepan. Stir in rice. Place strips of lime zest on top. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer 20 minutes, or until water is absorbed and rice is tender. Discard zest. Fluff rice with a fork; leave in saucepan.
Pour warm milk over rice. Stir in sugar. Bring to a simmer over medium heat. When small bubbles appear around edge of pan, reduce heat to medium-low. Gently simmer 15 to 20 minutes, stirring frequently, until pudding is thick and creamy. Remove from heat; stir in lime juice and extracts. Let cool 5 minutes. Remove cinnamon stick.
Holding mango firmly on a cutting board, cut a single slice along each side of the long flat seed so you have 2 halves. Cut side strips from seed. Remove peel from halves and strips. Dice 1⁄2-mango and side strips; cut remaining 1⁄2 crosswise in 10 thin slices for garnish.
Stir diced mango into pudding. Let pudding cool about 20 minutes if serving warm.
Garnish each with a mango and lime slice and grated lime zest.