Serves: 4 | Preparation Time: 15 min
- ½ kilo mashed potatoes
- 8-10 small Jerusalem artichokes
- 1 medium onion diced, fried without colour
- 1 tbspn chopped fresh thyme
- 3-4 tbspn hazelnut oil
- 1 tbspn Dijon mustard
- Fresh breadcrumbs
- Fine polenta meal
- Seasoning to taste
- 1 large red onion, sliced
- Olive oil
- 1 cup sweet chili sauce
- 4 handfuls wild rocket
- 1 cup balsamic vinegar
- 4 tbspn pear concentrate (available in health food stores & worth investing in) If not, peel and mince 1/4 pear and use instead.
Combine all ingredients except polenta. Slowly work breadcrumbs into mixture to form about 8 cakes.
Roll cakes in polenta. Gently pan fry or deep fry till crisp.
Slowly fry onion in oil until caramelised, about 10 minutes. Add chili sauce. Place on a chopping board and roughly chop the mix to create a slightly chunky jam.
Place balsamic in saucepan and simmer till reduced by half. Stir in pear concentrate (minced pear).
Toss through rocket leaves.
Place the rocket on the plate and top with the artichoke and potato cakes. Drizzle with the chili jam.